Weight Loss, Callings, and New Jobs

Just a few general updates on life because my journal gets a brief, fragmented day-by-day account, but I like to go more in-depth every so often.

I’ve been counting macros consistently for almost 6 months now. It’ll be 6 months on 9/11. It’s been a lot slower than I anticipated. I think this is for a couple of reasons. The first is that when I first started counting, I was quite heavy. Your body is much more willing to lose weight when it has a lot to lose. Those “last five” that everyone talks about? Those are no joke.

The other reason it’s been different is I’ve had re-feed or “treat meals” every Saturday evening. In my first round of serious counting, I had a high calorie day on Saturday, but no re-feeds. I am split on my feelings about this. It does help me to make better decisions throughout the week because I have my re-feed to look forward to. But also I do think it has contributed to me taking longer. Still, it’s been good for my mental health in this long, long diet phase. And I think that’s why I’ve been able to stick with it for so long.

A final reason I think it’s slower is that I’m not currently training. When I first counted, I was training for a half marathon. Your body just burns, burns, burns when you’re running five miles three days a week, and have a longer 7-11 mile run on Saturday.

I do start training again in one week. I’ve been slowly working up to that the last few weeks, with four two-milers per week. I did have a three-mile run on Saturday, and I’ll have another this coming Saturday. Then that will be the minimum distance of my weekday runs.

Since March 11, I’m down something like 10-12 pounds. My scale was being weird the first couple days of tracking. I’m feeling proud and more confident every day.

----------------------------------------

Another item of note is that I became a Sunday school teacher this year. Unfortunately, it is in the year that we are studying the Old Testament, which really isn’t anyone’s favorite. This past Sunday, my lesson was so, so cool. Not because of me, but because of everyone who was there, their comments, and the Spirit they brought. My cute grandma was able to attend. I always let her and my mom know when I am teaching, without any expectation of them coming.

So our lesson was on “After the Fire, a Still Small Voice,” covering 1 Kings 17-19 and the prophet Elijah. I had never studied Elijah before (or at least don’t remember learning about him), and found his experiences fascinating. We talked about this pattern of “go and do,” throughout the chapters. Elijah went and did as he was asked, as did the widow who helped sustain him. It turns out that the part that stood out the most to my grandma was the widow giving her last little bit of meal and oil to provide for Elijah, having the faith that things would somehow work out. And they did. That little bit of meal and oil she had lasted throughout the famine. Additionally, Elijah raised her son from the dead. This woman received miracles because of her sacrifice, faith, and obedience. Pretty amazing stuff, and my grandma shared afterward that she needed this lesson personally. She said I did a beautiful job and that she normally doesn’t like Sunday school, but she loved my lesson.

For me the most powerful part was in chapter 19, where Elijah despairs. He is a prophet and has worked miracles but is tired and sad from the people’s wickedness. He asks to die. I felt that this was so powerful, especially for those in the room who might experience the depths of depression and darkness. The Lord sustains Elijah and then asks him to serve some more, which he does.

I had a comment from Brooke in my ward saying, “Janae, you always give the best lessons.” Another guy in my ward stopped me on my way out of the room and thanked me for the lesson, saying it was really good. That was so nice of him. Tiffany, my Relief Society president, talked to me about my lesson afterward. She hadn’t been to Sunday school in a long time due to her calling. She was so grateful she could come, and said that a nonmember who was visiting also attended my class. She kept telling me what a fluid and amazing teacher I am, and wondered what we could do to get other teachers on the same page. She said she loved how I brought it down to a common level, because Sunday school needed to reach the average masses, not to enrich those who are already learned. I really appreciated her comments, and the fact that she just wanted every Sunday school teacher to learn from me. It was really humbling for me, and I was grateful.

People are always just so nice after I teach; it’s nice not to have people bummed about you teaching, or bummed about Sunday school in general.

----------------------------------------

Finally, I’ve started a new chapter in life at Millburn & Company, a property investment company downtown. When I walk out of the building on the bottom floor, I can see the temple. Or if I sneak into some offices here, I can see it as well.

Today was my first day, and it has been really low key. My favorite things:
- Lumbar support on my awesome desk chair
- HUGE monitor
- Temple view
- Free sodas (Coke Zero and Diet DP are here!)
- Awesome boss (best friend’s mom)

Additionally, I don’t have to fix any plumbing issues, clean up kitchen messes, plan parties, accept packages, buy air freshener, get quotes on HVAC repairs or carpet cleanings, tell people their lunch is here, disarm any remote homes, or anything like that. It seems to be incredibly low key so far. I’m sure as quarterly reports will have to come together, it’ll get more intense. But for my first day, it was pretty low key.

Today I just had to start updating a spreadsheet—add new properties and their info (address, regional managers, property managers, etc.), and update the ones that were on there.

I DO miss Alpine and especially miss the people. I loved the people there, and made some great friends over the last two years. I have so much gratitude for Alpine and for the chance they gave me to leave teaching. I got to do so many fun things, and it came along with a lot of challenges and demands.

In other news, summer is winding down, and I am mourning that loss, but also am excited for fall. Who can take me on a motorcycle ride before it gets too cold?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review