Love Yourself

I came across one of the billions of inspirational messages on Instagram a couple of months ago. It says:

You can't hate yourself happy.
You can't criticize yourself thin.
You can't shame yourself wealthy.
Real change begins with 
self-love and self-care. 

I'm having a lot of feelings about this today. This morning, I went into the depths of Facebook and searched for old photos of myself to use as "before" pictures on any transformation posts I might do in the future. The search made me unexpectedly emotional.

I am about 20 pounds under my heaviest weight at the moment. But honestly, the initial changes I made to my health weren't about weight loss. It was just about making better choices for myself.

It was in 2011 or 2012 that I started shopping a little bit differently, bringing salad supplies to work instead of Michelina's frozen meals. I started checking into the gym on Facebook after work. I'd use time on the elliptical to do my reading for my reading certification courses I had to take.

Honestly, none of this was to become "thin." I tried that before, and it never lasted. I'd eat too little, work out, lose weight, and gain it all back. But when my dad got a scary diagnosis, things changed. I went to the gym because I had the time and knew I needed to take better care of myself. I changed my eating because I learned from Pinterest (sorry not sorry) about the importance of certain vegetables and what "super foods" I should add into my diet.

None of my changes were because I hated myself or my body. I wanted to look better, sure. That's the story of every woman's life. But that's not where these changes came from, or else I would've given up and gone back to earlier habits.

I've now had salads for lunch 4-5 days a week for around seven years. That hasn't been for weight loss. That's been to get some greens in for at least one meal of my day, even if I eat poorly the rest of the day (which let's be honest, happens a lot). Also, it's easy to prep, and it's cheap lunch for the week.

I've now exercised 4-6 days per week for around seven years. That hasn't been for weight loss.

Why do I keep repeating this? Because it's not enough to want to "look different." Hating yourself is not going to inspire change. Criticizing yourself will not make the journey sustainable.

You have to love and care about yourself, about your body. You have to know that you deserve to feel good and confident. You have to learn about the things your body does to keep you healthy and functional (it's a seriously amazing thing), sometimes in spite of the poor choices you make. You sometimes have to make choices that maybe aren't what your mouth wants, but what your body needs.

Ultimately, you have to love yourself wherever you're at, even if it's not quite where you want to be. I struggle with this. Boy, do I struggle. We often just want to "get there." But think about it. How often have you looked back at an old photo and thought, "Man, if only I could look like that again." But when you were in that photo, did you love yourself where you were at? Did you look at yourself and think, "Man, I look good!"? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Move your body because you love yourself.
Eat vegetables because you love yourself.
Drink water because you love yourself.
Get enough sleep because you love yourself.
Make hard choices because you love yourself.

These are the things that will bring about real and lasting change: Stepping up to the plate and taking care of your awesome body because it is amazing and does so much for you. Then you'll notice all the changes you've always wanted, but they'll stick around because it came from a place of self-love and self-care instead of self-loathing.

On the 6th day of November, I am grateful for a body that performs under all the strain I put on it, that avoids illness like a champ, and that lets me experience all the fun things life has to offer (read: Hawaii's crazy hikes to get a beautiful view, sky diving, roller coasters, races, walks with loved ones, and more).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review