February in Review

February whooooaaaa! 

It was a busy month. 

February 1 we packed for Cancun, of course! 

February 2, we were up early and headed over to Matthew’s cousin Jim’s house to drop off the dog and get a ride to the airport. We got through security and everything fairly quickly. Matthew had a Café Rio breakfast burrito, and I had a protein shake while we waited at the gate. Our flight was long but just fine. I read my book Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk. Matthew watched movies. We landed and didn’t make it through the tunnel of tricksy salespeople. We got sucked into one, thankfully not for long. He gave us the wrong platform number for the people we were looking for. 


We had a rocky start because I didn’t read our travel email carefully enough. I guess we were supposed to look for Delta vacations representatives. But the letter sent to us via snail mail by our travel agent said to look for Amstar reps. So we found an Amstar rep finally, who didn’t have any record of us. And I was panicking at that moment. He figured out from my email that we needed Delta Vacations. I think we held everyone up for 15-20 minutes probably. I felt bad. But we ended up on a bus with other people getting rides to their hotels. It was a rowdy bunch, and they wanted to stop at 7-11 to get some Mexican alcohol. I didn’t get anything there; I just wanted some jerky, but I guess that’s not a thing there. Matthew got some chips that he shared with me. 

We were the second to last people to be dropped off at our hotel. Check-in wasn’t too bad. It was a little hard to understand some of what she said; I wonder if I should’ve just had her speak Spanish. 

A golf cart came and took us on a short tour around the resort, then took us to our room, which was spacious and lovely (especially compared to the standard hotel room I’m staying at in Scottsdale, AZ right now). We talked with a concierge and set up dinner at the Latin fusion restaurant called Culinarium. We were super pleased with everything we ate. And we learned at that meal that all the food is single serving, so when you order an appetizer, you can’t really share it. You both need to order one. 




On Wednesday, we got some calls to our room, but they couldn’t hear us when we answered the phone. So our concierge knocked on our door and introduced herself. She was the person to schedule our meals and our outings and things. That morning, we scheduled dinner for the evening at La Carreta Mexican restaurant. We also talked with the cooperating tour company and scheduled our trip to Tulum for Friday, and the Mexican market on Thursday. We went to the breakfast buffet and were generally disappointed. 






We had a massage that afternoon, with a water journey. It started in a ridiculously hot and steamy steam room. We couldn’t even open our eyes. After that we went to this pool with waterfalls that were set up to run onto certain body parts (like the upper shoulders). We ended with a golf cart ride over to the sky massage location which was a big wooden tower where we got our massages while listening to the ocean. It was heavenly. We cleaned up after that and had a very late lunch at Driftwood – ate more than I meant to. We spent time at the shore and picked out some shells. 








Dinner was good, but not as good as the first night. A lot of it was just not what I expected (roasted watermelon wasn’t roasted; roasted goat cheese wasn’t roasted). Matthew got something with grasshoppers. I got fajitas, but I was still so full from lunch that I didn’t even eat half of it. We went to the fire show that night. When we got back to the room, there were flower petals all over the floor and on the bed. It was a sweet thing that Matthew had set up for me. The words on the bed spelled “You are my love of my life,” which was cute. The bubble bath was full with petals on top as well, so we used that, of course. 










On Thursday, I went to the gym, and Matthew came too! We did breakfast at the Driftwood which was very close to our hotel room (the only other option for breakfast besides the buffet). We scheduled dinner with our concierge for Mia Casa Italian. We of course went to the beach that day and used a Bali bed. We took our free ride to the Mexican market that afternoon. It was about 15 minutes away, and was just in a private car with our own guide. The market was not what we expected. It was a glass blowing facility which was cool, and a mini museum about cacao growth and processing. But mostly it was just a big indoor souvenir shop, and it was totally dead. We did go into a jewelry shop, and the spice shop. We ended up buying some cacao and some gifts and things. After our trip to the market, we were hungry. I intended to have a small snack to tide me over, so we tried Beach BBQ. I had salad and a veggie wrap to keep it light. We spent a couple of hours on a Bali bed before dinner. Dinner at Mia Casa was good, but again not mind blowing. I really liked the inside of the restaurant though; it was cute. It was an early night for us since we overate and did a lot that day. I fell asleep at 10:30, which was 8:30pm Utah time. 








Glass blowing facility





On Friday, I was up early to run 2 miles. We scheduled dinner for the International Pub restaurant and had our trip to Tulum. We had to be at the front at 9:30am. The ride wasn’t too long. Our guide was very talkative. Tulum was beautiful and awesome, but I was bothered because once we got in the walls, he wanted to talk our ears off for 30 minutes about the Mayan calendar and mathematics. He took us to some of the highlights and explained them, but by the time we were allowed to explore, we only got 20 minutes to do so. We were both bothered by that. But man, it was a beautiful place. After that, we shared some coconut ice cream from a local shop. The bus took us a Mayan souvenir shop with a heavy focus on obsidian. We got some necklaces blessed by a Mayan priest. It was cool to hear Mayan.   









By the time we got back, it was about an hour and a half later than I expected we would. I was able to talk with the people at the tourism desk to tell them that one of the things I bought at the market on Thursday was the wrong size, and could I get it swapped? Well, I could, but I had to be the one to go do it, and they had a bus leaving in a half hour. So I ran to one of the beach bars and got a smoothie while Matthew ate lunch at Driftwood. I hopped on a bus, went to the market, swapped out my item, and came back all within about 30 minutes. When I came back, Matthew was still at Driftwood eating. 



I went to the room and got my bathing suit and book and went to the pool. There weren’t a lot of sunny spots at that point on a cloudy day late in the afternoon. Matthew didn’t join me for a long while. 

We spent some time in the hotel room resting and then went to the international pub restaurant. We both really liked it, but some items weren’t anything special. Our server that night was so sweet and was so happy when Matthew used his name. I will say our service across the board at our resort was really great. After that, we watched a Folkloric performance and Mariachi performers. It was really fun. 






Saturday was our last full day. I went to the gym. We tried the breakfast buffet again, and it went a lot better since we knew what wasn’t good. We scheduled the Asian restaurant called Klay Talay. We spent the majority of our day at the beach. I finished my book. I tried the Health Bar for lunch. It was fine, just a ham and veggie wrap. Klay Talay for dinner was super yummy. 










Our last morning, February 7, our resort arranged a beautiful room service breakfast spread. The salmon omelet sounded a little gross to me. My stomach was very upset from the previous night of dinner (and the stomach upset lasted for another 9 days, so that was fun). But it was such a nice gesture, and really was beautiful! We went down to a Bali bed near the Driftwood restaurant and spent about an hour there before going back to our room and finishing up the packing. They came to get our bags at 12:10, and we needed to be up front at 1:00 for our van back to the airport. 




Some other honeymoon thoughts:

We hadn’t expected to be upsold to the extent that we were during our trip. I think with just a few days to spend vacationing, I didn’t want to spend any time for presentations and things. Plus, with so much already included, it’s hard to want to upgrade anything. 

I hadn’t expected it to be as humid as it was. Literally none of my gym clothes dried. Neither did my bathing suits. And our sheets were wet one morning too! It just was so wet! 

Our shower was a waterfall, which I loved. We had no bathroom fan. I didn’t love the shower gel or shampoo/conditioner. 

Our ride back to the airport was long. We stopped to get another couple deep inside this private community, and they weren’t there or ready. 

The airport wasn’t too bad. The longest wait was at bag drop because that’s where they checked documentation. We had our positive tests and health department letters and were approved. We got some local chocolate and things, and security went quick. We ate some sandwiches near our gate. Matthew had to go re-purchase something that he accidentally broke when our suitcase tipped over. 

We landed early in Salt Lake but had to taxi forever due to other traffic. Our bag came out quick. Customs was quick. Jim came to get us. We got the dog and got home probably a little before 10pm. 

February 8, we were both back to work. I had Matthew pick up some Marco’s pizza and breadsticks for dinner, since I had free pizza for my birthday. We watched WandaVision and Good Place. 

February 9, I made us some soup and salad for dinner. I started a new book. Matthew bought me some chocolate cake from Village Baker, so I ate that and started my new book. 



On my birthday, I was up early to run and go to plasma. When I opened my door to go on a run, there were streamers hanging outside my door and into the hallway. It startled me, but was such a nice surprise. Matthew texted to ask if I worked out; I told him I had. He meant to ask if I worked out in my gym, which I hadn’t. He decorated my gym, and I had no idea because I didn’t go in there! Poor guy. 





I got free Starbucks that morning before going to work. I got lots of texts and Facebook posts, and even a couple of phone calls. I got a free Firehouse sub for lunch for my birthday while I ran Book Club at work. When I got home from work I checked my gym, which Matthew had decorated with streamers and balloons. When he got home from work, he brought me some lilies and carnations. We went to dinner at Tiburon, which was really nice. I think Matthew liked his dinner better than I liked mine. They gave me free dessert, which was a chocolate almond mousse. I liked it. My dad sent me a birthday present without a note: it was a Pickett from Fantastic Beasts. So cute. 







February 11, my boss took me and the team to lunch at Sweet Lake Biscuits for my birthday. I got a massage after work. That evening, my mom made me chicken & dumplings. My grandma made me some chocolate lovers bundt cake. Both were so good. Mom got me some new pants, a Sherpa jacket, and balloons, and my grandma got me a candle and some money. 

Friday, February 12, I came home to roses and a card for Valentine's Day. It was a beautiful arrangement! Rachel took me to Macaroni Grill for dinner, but I forgot to take photos. After I got back, Matthew and I were invited by the downstairs neighbor to come play games. He went; I went to bed early. 


February 13, I went to High Fitness, which was pretty full, surprisingly. Matthew and I ate at Toscano and had dessert there. We watched WandaVision since I was out on Friday. A late birthday present from my dad arrived as well!




I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Sunday, February 14, Matthew and I went to breakfast at Black Bear Diner. It was probably our worst experience we’ve had there. It wasn’t terrible, just not great. I made some Thai mango sticky rice that came out OK—almost too sticky, though. Matthew played video games. Later that day, we exchanged gifts. I got him cologne and personalized chopsticks. He got me a beautiful black pearl necklace, roses (on Friday), and cooked me dinner. We watched a movie on the couch and went to bed early. 




February 15 was just a normal day. I went to plasma in the morning for the last time before my surgery. (I have to wait 4 months after my surgery to donate again.) We had some leftovers. I packed for my work trip. 

Tuesday, February 16 I was up early to work out and went to work in the morning. I left work about noon to head to my boss’s house. We flew on his plane down to Arizona for a presidents’ trip I planned in detail. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. Everyone met us at the Sol Cocina restaurant at 7:00pm. We had to wait for a long time to be seated although we had a reservation. But everyone really liked it. 



February 17, I ran a mile outside in Scottsdale even though it was way colder than I planned. I also used the gym for a little while. We had a discussion/meeting until about 3:30pm. We drove to Top Golf. I have never done anything harder than mini golf, so I was terrible. But with some help and coaching, I started making contact with the ball. I am wickedly sore from it today (2/18). We went to dinner at White Chocolate Grill which was pretty good. After that, we drove to Octane Raceway. Everyone raced but me. I don’t find go karts fun at all (I know, I stand alone in this). 


Thursday, February 18, I met my coworker in the gym. The hotel only allowed one person at a time, which was ridiculous. So he was in there at 6 and let me in at 6:30 to share the gym with him. Meetings from 8:30-3:30 again. I flew commercial back with my coworkers. Matthew picked me up at the airport at 8pm, but then had to take me to Lehi to get my car from my boss’s house. During the day I also had a call with a nurse for the medical history thing before my surgery. It was long and annoying. When I called to get my surgery time, she told me to come in at 9:30. 

February 19, I had surgery. I’m going to do a separate post about that since it has just gone way differently than anticipated. But basically that morning I woke up and took it easy since I couldn’t drink or eat. Matthew took me in and was able to come with me until they took me back. All went well. I spent the whole day on the couch. Matthew got us some pho. 




Saturday, February 20 I did some cleaning around the house, but nothing too strenuous. Also did laundry and just sat on the couch most of the day. 

February 21, we watched church on Zoom. Matthew made delicious breakfast. I had about a 15 minute window that I could taste, so I ate the last of the potatoes he made in a hurry, since I couldn’t taste anything else before that. 

Monday, February 22 I woke up and did a slow walk on the treadmill. I went back to work, since that’s what the doctor said I could expect. I didn’t make it a full day. I left around 2pm and finished the day at home. I made a quick and easy dinner for us. 



February 23 I made it a full day at work and was grateful I didn’t have to get up very much at all. Also it was Rachel’s birthday, so I pulled together old photos and made a video for her! We have had so many good times in the last almost 16 years. At the end of this day, I was kind of a train wreck. My body still felt like it was in shock, and I had a meltdown just from being exhausted and confused as to why I wasn’t feeling better. Matthew was patient and loving, reminding me my body had something traumatic done to it, even if it was “minor surgery,” and he told me I needed to stay home from work on Wednesday. 

Wednesday, February 24 I texted my bosses that I would try to work from home on my personal computer. Thank goodness for office.com and all the web access of everything! I was limited in what I could do without my work computer, but I feel like I got a lot done from my couch. I did a lot of resting, and watched a lot of Call the Midwife. I even ended the day with less than 3,000 steps! The most I did was take a long shower and dry my hair. 

February 25, I was back to work again. I had my follow up appointment with my doctor in the afternoon which I wrote about in my other post here.  

Friday, February 26, I went on a 20-minute walk with the dog and had a rough morning. I was trying to hurry to get to work, so of course I spilled my drink all over my kitchen. Matthew came to the rescue again and cleaned up my mess so I could get to work. I’m just so grateful for him and his love and patience. I had plans that night to go to Heber to have dinner with Rachel for her birthday, but there was another weather warning for Heber/Midway/Park City from 5pm Friday to 9pm Saturday. So I just started the Saturday cleaning and laundry. Matthew picked up theater popcorn, and we watched WandaVision. We also watched Beautiful Mind, which Matthew hadn't seen before. 

February 27 I took the dog for a walk and did laundry. When I got back from the walk, I thought it was a good day to go get breakfast, so we went to Gourmandise. We got groceries and went home. The rest of that day was really quiet for us. We just hung out with the animals. I did some reading; Matthew played video games. That evening, Matthew cooked chicken parmesan, and we watched Chef. Such a good movie. 





Sunday, February 28, I picked up Duck Donuts for us. I watched church on Zoom, but I really struggled with the talks, as I've seemed to a lot lately. Matthew and I got gas, and I had to go pick up more stuff at Smith's that we forgot. He had errands to run--met up with his brother in Bountiful and had lunch with his cousin. I made bone broth. I took a long bath and finished my book The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr. I took the dog for a short walk. We watched Good Place and Call the Midwife. I cleaned the fish tank. But generally I just took it super easy. 




Overall an eventful month. I'm looking forward to continued healing after my surgery. 

Books I read in February:
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney
Just Mercy  by Bryan Stevenson (audiobook)
The Bravest You by Adam Kirk Smith (audiobook)
How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton M. Christensen (audiobook)
the Seven Rules of Elvira Carr by Frances Maynard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review