June in Review

And another month of my life in the books. 

June 1 got off to an interesting start. Neither Matthew nor I slept very well in that Airbnb in Hurricane. Since I couldn’t sleep any more, I got up to do my long run, which was only 4 miles. The street we stayed on was really, really cute. I basically ran a loop and had to add a little strip of an out and back at the end. But it is always fun to run in a new place, and I was really happy with my time.



Matthew and I had a good talk after I got back from my run. We got ready and headed over to the church for my niece Elayna’s baptism. It was just her and one other girl getting baptized. Cigi performed the baptism and confirmation.






We got lunch at Costa, and I drove us back to Salt Lake.

June 2 was a calm day—just church and chilling at home. Made myself a legit dinner.



June 3, my dad was in town! Matthew took my dad and I to dinner at Vessel Kitchen. It was fun to sit and talk with them and let them get to know each other a little bit. We had good talks about my brother and his progress, got Crumbl cookie, and hung out at my place.



June 5, I went to hang out with my parents at my grandma’s house. Mom made dinner, and dad took me on a ride on his bike.




June 7 was National Donut Day. You’d better believe that was more than enough reason for me to get donuts. I pre-ordered Banbury Cross donuts from Crema. So good. I even celebrated with a donut headband.




That same day, I figured it’d be a good day to teach myself how to use the Lime scooters downtown. My boss helped me set up the app, and I went downstairs and figured out how to use the scooter. I took about a 1.5 mile ride. It was interesting. I was too scared to ride on the street, but it was scary going fast on the sidewalks with pedestrians. There was even a point where a kid jumped out from behind his dad that made me panic and hop off the scooter.



June 7, Matthew and I got poke at Laid Back in Holladay. Then we paid a visit to The Store. If you guys haven’t been there, you gotta go.



June 8, Matthew and I went to Don Pollo Mexican restaurant in West Valley. It was good. Not life changing, but good. I got the super nachos, and Matthew got a few types of tacos.




June 9 was an interesting day. I took a really long walk on Jordan River Parkway. I went to the park and read a book. And my mom texted wanting to go on a walk around Historic Sandy with me and my grandma. So they came down and we did that.




Now, there’s this amazing old Bed & Breakfast house around the corner from me. I’ve been obsessed with it for several years. I’ve gone up to the porch and peeked inside many times, unsure how to book a visit at the home, and positive no one actually lived in it full-time.

How wrong I was. While my mom, grandma, and I were poking around the front porch, I hit the old style knocker on the door. To all of our surprise, Fran Hansen opened the door. She was just watching TV after church in her very classy church clothes, and offered us a tour of her Victorian style home. People, I have no words. It was amazing.

All the rooms had TVs and jacuzzi tubs. They’re all themed differently. She does less hosting now because her husband passed away, but she gave me her number to book a night. Man oh man. It is a beautiful home, and I am so excited to stay there.



That weekend was odd. Matthew spent a lot of time with his family because his aunt passed away. His uncle passed away a few days later on Monday, June 10.

In spite of the chaos, we ended up going to the Bees game that evening, just the two of us; we couldn’t find anyone else to use the other two tickets.




June 11, I used my Freeplay app to try Title Boxing club for my morning workout. It was fun. But I don’t like kicking the hanging bags with my shin. It hurts.



June 12, we went down to Lehi, got Costa Vida for dinner, and headed to Matthew’s brother’s house for his nephew’s birthday. We hung out and went to his nephew’s baseball game.



June 14, we had a date for High Tea at Auntie Rae’s Dessert Island. It was fun and we had some pretty good conversation about the progression and direction of our relationship.





June 15, another long run on Jordan River Trail.



I also went to the pool, had Ashleigh come hang for a bit since she was in town. Matthew came down, Ash left to do her errands, and Matthew and I went to dinner at Terra Mia. That evening, we went to Matthew’s brother’s house to hang out and make s’mores.










On June 16 we had dinner again at Matthew’s brother’s house.

June 17, I left work early to go to the family celebration for Matthew’s aunt’s funeral up Provo Canyon. It was a catered barbecue lunch. I hadn’t planned adequately for that, and everything was super tasty. The canyon was beautiful.


But hanging out in between these two bickering old ladies wasn’t the best of times.



June 18 I used my Freeplay app to try Pink Iron Fitness in Holladay. It was a fun seven-circuit workout.



I worked a couple of hours at home because Matthew’s uncle’s funeral was that morning in Provo. We went to that and then to the family picnic at the park afterward. J Dawg’s catered that one. So good.



June 20, Matthew and I went to the Soho Food Truck park, where I got some mini donuts, and he got some tacos.


June 21, I got a free body scan at Profile by Sanford. It was pretty cool with the info they gave and the detail of the scan.

That same evening, Matthew and I went axe throwing. He insisted on keeping score, until he realized I was destroying him, then he quit. I got plenty of bullseyes.





June 22, another run on the Jordan River Parkway. Followed by my strange phenomenon where my fingertips turn white and numb a half hour later.





June 22 was dinner at The Pie, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with the Utah Symphony. So, so good!



On June 23 I tried the mid-single adult ward. It was interesting. But I was happy to wear one of my Hawaii dresses.



I also went to the pool that day for a little bit.

June 25, I used my Freeplay app to try Tekton Fitness in Murray. It didn’t feel like too hard of a workout when I was there, but that changed two days later when I realized what those single arm push presses did to my shoulders.

On Wednesday, June 26, I had my bike crash which I recounted here. But at least it was a beautiful environment.




That night, I got myself some Crumbl cookies and hung out with Matthew. He let me use his friend’s awesome massage chair that evening.

My black eye has been interesting to watch heal.

Thursday, I tried out Side of Aloha in Draper. Sadly, they were out of poke. But it was OK. Their mac salad was the best I’ve ever had, and I’ll go back just for that.



Friday, Rachel came down from Heber, and we went to Mo Bettah’s along with Matthew. We went to Taylorsville Dayzz after that for the 80s cover band and fireworks. It was fun to have my best friends meet each other.




Saturday, June 29, I did my long run, grocery shopped, cleaned my house, and did laundry all before heading to Layton at 11am to go see Ashleigh. She drove us up to Pineview Reservoir where we learned it was $18 to park for the day, and we were only going to be there for a couple of hours. There was no parking left, and not very much shore to plant ourselves on. But it was a neat little place, and it is always good to talk with one of my oldest friends.







I came home and showered. Matthew and I got sushi, then went to Taylorsville Dayzz again for fireworks. Ashleigh got there shortly after us. We got a decent parking spot on the street. After listening to over 2.5 hours of an Abba cover band (they extended because of wind), I’d be happy to never hear an Abba song ever again. But the fireworks were insanely awesome.

On Sunday, June 30, I didn’t do much at all, really. I sat around and started a new audiobook, which has been really hard to listen to: Tweak by Nic Sheff, son of David Sheff. I went on a couple of walks, went to the farmers market nearby, and watched The Matrix. Pretty quiet day.

Of note this month is my participation in the Raven Run Challenge. I’ve posted every day to the Facebook group with my distance for the day. The goal is one mile per day, which is easily attained four days per week with my running schedule. I go on walks on Sunday, and just try to get a lot of steps on Tuesday and Thursday.

Books I read in June:
These is My Words by Nancy Turner (audiobook)
The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (audiobook)
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
In Pieces by Sally Field (audiobook)
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (audiobook)
Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon (audiobook)

I’m currently listening to Tweak, as I mentioned, and I ordered The Rosie Effect on Amazon, since I’m almost finished, but my digital loan expired.

Overall, I'd say I've gotten a pretty strong start to my summer this month and am ready for July. Give me all the hot dogs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review