So you can only imagine my surprise when the awesome Danakin Skywalker nominated me for the Sunshine Award today. I read her blogs regularly, and was just going through her post this morning, and saw a link to my blog on her blog post. What the? I was so surprised and had to reread to figure out why I was being mentioned. So this was a day maker, ego boost, whatever you want to call it. Thanks, Danica!
This award is "to notice and encourage positivity and sunshine on the Internet." I never have considered myself to be an especially sunny person. Especially when one of my first thoughts on the road this morning was, "Wow. The only thing worse than a PT Cruiser is a PT Cruiser with flames painted on it." (No offense to any of you PT fans.) Nevertheless, I humbly accept the nomination as a reason for me to write a blog.
Here are The Rules:
1. Include award logo in a post or on your blog.
2. Link to the person who nominated you
3. Answer 10 questions about yourself that the person who nominated you asks.
4. Nominate 10 bloggers to receive the award. (make sure to link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs letting them know you have nominated them)
So here are Danica's thought-provoking questions (including a Harry Potter one which excites me because look what I bought just barely):
- If you could only listen to one band/musical artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?
Ah geez. I'm trying to think of someone who makes me happy no matter when or how often I hear them. I think Death Cab for Cutie is in the running. They make me feel so many feelings! Joshua Radin makes me happy. Ingrid Michaelson is good for singing along. Imogen Heap is so creative and unique. So there that is. I'll go with DCFC, Danica, but this question is just cruel. Thankfully, I'll never have to choose!
- Which Harry Potter character are you and why?
I don't think it will surprise anyone when I say Hermione Granger. Stinky little know-it-all. I totally was like that in school. However, (don't mind if I pat myself on the back here) she is also incredibly thoughtful and cares deeply about her friends. She's very prepared, organized, and studious. I fancy myself a holder of these qualities.
- What winter fashion trend are you going to be trying this season?
I'm trying infinity scarves. I bought one at Wal-Mart, and one at Payless Shoe Source in the past couple of weeks (don't judge me). I've never been into fashion like I wish I could be (I'll find my millionaire one day). But honestly, reading Danica's blog in the past year has inspired me to make more of an effort. So I've been stocking up on scarves. I bought my first boots and first skinny jeans last December and have loved wearing them. I feel much more attractive when I make an effort.
- Who was your best k-12 teacher? What made them great?
Oh man, this one is hard. I had so many good teachers, and that's why I became one. I had Mrs. Whittington for 1st, 2nd, and 4th grade. Sadly, she passed on from cancer, but I loved her for how fair she was. She was good at acknowledging and praising my abilities without setting me apart (take note, Colonel Graff). Mr. Guggino was awesome for his passion about all things nerdy, especially Shakespeare. He had great rapport with us and was more like a friend. Mrs. Wilcox was a fantastic grammarian with amazing dry humor. Dr. Davis was my 5th grade teacher, and he pushed me harder than I ever wanted to be pushed. He gave me special permissions and had me do projects because I would get so far ahead of the other kids. He was hilarious and so fun. I could go on and on, but those four came first in my head.
- Favorite secret/unknown/under-the radar restaurant in Utah?
I don't know how under-the-radar Red Ginger Bistro is. They have 1/2 off sushi all the time, and it is my fave. (Please note: don't expect awesome service at Red Ginger.) I also happen to love Johanna's in Sandy. Their scones? It's become a problem. I'll leave it at that.
- What awesome holiday tradition should I be starting with my fuzzy little family this year?
My mom always buys our dogs bones for Christmas. We also open up a present on Christmas eve. I also do a lot of Christmas baking. Take your pick.
- Do you have an inspirational quote or saying you look to when things get tough? Share please.
I love a lot of quotes.
- When I feel like I am just bombing a workout, I like to tell myself, "You're lapping everyone on the couch."
- When I'm feeling ugly or inadequate physically, "Love your body for what it can do instead of what it looks like."
- When I'm feeling negative or like bad things are happening, "If it wasn't this, it would be something else."
- I also like, "You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
- And for my job, "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
For real, I could go on and on and on...
- What phrase should I be using to shut up the people asking me when I’m gonna “pop out a baby”?
I'm sure any of your responses would be much cleverer than mine. Tell them, "When I grow a hole big enough to do so." That's bound to offend someone.
- What are you going to ask Santa for for Christmas?
All I want is workout gear, seriously. Just workout clothes. New running shoes. OK, maybe a couple of movies. And some vinyl records. But I'd be happy with just workout clothes. Did everyone get that? Mom? Workout. clothes.
- What is something your readers don’t know about you?
I'm in a long distance relationship. But it's soon to be short-distance! Yay!
OK, my 10 nominees are:
- Rachel, for her always amazing use of .gifs that will unquestionably make me laugh.
- Camille, because she posts so regularly, and her energy is always through the roof. Her zest for life is awesome.
- Whitney Wilson, because she cracks me up, but I also love how open she is about her life.
- Bri, because her kids are so dang cute. That's the same thing as sunshine, right?
- Ashlee, because she is so good about finding joy in the small things. Her insight to parenthood means the world to me.
- Larissa, because she writes about a variety of topics in a way that's open and thoughtful and positive.
- Aunt Lisa, because she seeks to provide encouragement and inspiration on her blog and off.
- Eileen, because her cynicism and snark make me smile.
- Whitney Ingram, because she is a real, funny, cool mom, and I like her blog.
- Melea, not that I know her or think she'll do this blog post but because she posts deals and freebies every day, and deals and freebies make me super happy!
My 10 questions for you ladies are:
- What movie can you watch repeatedly and not get sick of?
- What shampoo and conditioner do you use?
- Name 3 pet peeves (make 'em good. What makes you want to say curse words?).
- What's your favorite way to stay fit or favorite type of exercise?
- What personality trait do you wish you had (or had more of)?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is your favorite food (one that you wish had no calories)?
- What job would you love to do if you could?
- What is your favorite instrument to listen to?
- Tell me your favorite joke.