Workout Wednesday: Oh, the Obstacles



Let's talk about "those days."

You know what days I'm talking about. Maybe it was a day when you woke up late, and ran behind on everything else. Maybe it was a day where you dropped something not two but three times in a row. Maybe a bird aimed for your car post-meal. Maybe you slept with your neck turned too far and pinched a nerve, putting you in lots of pain for the whole day.

Or if you're lucky, it could be several of those things.

Let's review the workout edition of "one of those days."

Perhaps you brought your gym bag, but left your headphones (or insert any number of items, such as a towel, hair tie, or water bottle) at home. Maybe the equipment you wanted to use is taken. Or maybe the apartment gym with only one treadmill has been taken by an infrequent exerciser when you are usually there at that time. Heaven forbid your phone or iPod dies, leaving you without any music--or Pandora goes crazy. Maybe the rain or snow has taken your outdoor run away from you. You could just have one of those days where you aren't feeling it. Everyone might feel like texting you during your workout. The emergency switch could shut off the treadmill when you accidentally hit it. Or you could be 30 minutes late for your workout when you have plans immediately afterward.

For reals, guys, these days exist (I know, I pulled all of those from actual experience). They are days where it seems like everything is getting in the way of a successful workout. I had one of those days on Monday. I bit the side of my tongue at lunch, inducing a day-long headache. My neck had a pinched nerve in it, making stretches and a variety of other moves really painful (we're talking like I-can't-shave-my-armpits-or-switch-lanes painful). It had taken me a long time to mentally gear up for my workout, convincing myself I could even do it. I walked out the door and realized I forgot the key to the apartment gym. After pumping myself up for this challenging workout, I arrived only to find that the single treadmill in the gym was taken.

To say I was frustrated would be an understatement.

What do I do when the very thing I need to relieve my frustration is what is causing my frustration? Cry?

No. OK maybe a little. But then I put on my big girl panties and tell myself that any workout is better than none. "Workout in your damn living room, Janae!"

So I put on my Jillian DVD and did level 2. I winced my way through neck pain and had a good, short sweat. I finished feeling not 100% better, but certainly better than before.

Have you ever had those Sundays where you just didn't feel like going to church? You couldn't really articulate why? You just didn't feel like it? But then you forced yourself to go and realized that you actually really needed it? You (almost) never leave church feeling like, "Yeah I wish I hadn't done that."

Pardon my blasphemy, but I'm going to say that exercise is the same as this. The days where everything seems to be standing in the way of your workout are the days you absolutely have to get it done. For your sanity's sake. And you'll (almost) never get done with a workout and say, "I wish I hadn't done that."

Just remember, "If you had started exercising when you first thought of it, you'd be done by now."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review