The COVID Controversy: My Mask Research


I ask questions.

That’s what I do.

Even as a teenager, certain things would become popular and trendy, and I’d ask, “Why? What is so special about that? Isn’t it just special because everyone is going to get one? And doesn’t that mean it’s not special anymore?” There was a mild rebellious streak in me not to do what was popular.

For the most part, I’m a rule-following citizen. I understand that laws and rules are there for a reason, and I hate getting in trouble. The panic I feel when I see police lights is real. I’ve been a God-fearing, law abiding, guilt-ridden human my entire life, since early childhood. I feel guilty for things decades after they occurred (not exaggerating).

But when rules are imposed, and fines are enforced, I often want to know why the rules exist.

So in the midst of Corona, with California instituting fines when people leave their homes without a face mask, I want to know why. Is there any merit to implementing this rule and its punishment?

I watched a video in early March from the Joe Rogan podcast interviewing Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. He said in the video that masks were largely nonsense.

This made me panic when I watched it. If the sickness is spread via respiratory, and masks don’t help, then what the heck are we supposed to do? If people don’t even know they’re sick for a week after they’ve already been sick, then how do we stay safe? Thankfully the answer was given to us: social distancing and hand washing.

When I see that “fashion masks” have made their way onto boutique websites, I conclude that this has become a business opportunity, and a trend. (I don’t fault people for this; supply and demand is how we work. But) That’s when that junior high trend-rebel in me asks the question. Before I spend money on that cute polka dot mask, I want to know: will it actually help? Will it help protect me if I go grocery shopping? (And is it right for my CA family and friends to get fined if they don’t wear one?)

I did some initial reading where the data was mixed, but said the one thing everyone agreed on was that cloth masks are the least effective (https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html).

I did additional research on the World Health Organization website and the CDC website yesterday afternoon. I was fascinated by what I found.

I was mostly on this CDC page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html#studies. It was last reviewed April 3.


Basically, the two things we KNOW will slow the spread are:
  1. Social distancing (WHO says 1 meter; CDC says 6 feet)
  2. Hand washing


Interestingly, both organizations cited a few of the same research studies but made different recommendations.

The CDC says that because people are contagious in the early stages of the illness, without having any symptoms, it is helpful to wear a mask just in case you are infected but don’t have symptoms. But, they add, “CDC still recommends that you stay at least 6 feet away from other people (social distancing), frequent hand cleaning and other everyday preventive actions. A cloth face covering is not intended to protect the wearer, but it may prevent the spread of virus from the wearer to others.”

The WHO says that “The use of masks made of other materials (e.g., cotton fabric), also known as nonmedical masks, in the community setting has not been well evaluated. There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting.”

Of medical masks, the WHO said, “Wearing a medical mask is one of the prevention measures that can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19. However, the use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection, and other measures should also be adopted. Whether or not masks are used, maximum compliance with hand hygiene and other IPC measures is critical to prevent human-to-human transmission of COVID-19.”

I found this difference between the CDC and WHO super fascinating. I see this as an abundance of caution on the part of the CDC, which I of course don’t think is problematic (until fines are being instituted). I also see the CDC being really careful with their language. Read: “A cloth face covering […] MAY prevent the spread of virus from the wearer to others.” May means “we aren’t sure.” And even with a mask, the CDC “still recommends that you stay 6 feet away […] frequent hand cleaning.” In other words, those are the priority, proven methods.

After reading through the websites, articles, and FAQs, the message I get from these websites combined is, “You can wear a cloth mask, and it may or may not help. The priorities are distancing and hand washing.”

It’s best summarized in this WHO video: https://youtu.be/Ded_AxFfJoQ

This WHO video (https://youtu.be/bPITHEiFWLc) was interesting in that they talk about coughing and sneezing into your elbow. I imagine that’s what the CDC cloth mask suggestion is about—to stop spraying the infectious droplets. If they recommend coughing and sneezing into your elbow, but haven’t been able to prove the effectiveness of cloth masks, then maybe the elbow is just as effective as the mask, or more. Who knows?

I also found this information fascinating and disturbing:

“One study that evaluated the use of cloth masks in a health care facility found that health care workers using cotton cloth masks were at increased risk of infection compared with those who wore medical masks. Therefore, cotton cloth masks are not considered appropriate for health care workers.” (emphasis added)

I was asked on my same post (from a respectful commenter) if I were working in a high traffic area like a grocery store, would I wear a mask? I mean, maybe? If the store required it. If it makes people feel safer from me, I guess. In the event that I am sick and don’t know it, distance and hand washing would be the only real help, with the added protection of a medical mask. And the medical masks need to be reserved for medical personnel:

“Medical masks should be reserved for health care workers. The use of medical masks in the community may create a false sense of security, with neglect of other essential measures, such as hand hygiene practices and physical distancing.”

That’s the thing. I think the cloth masks give people a false sense of security. And sure, what’s the harm in that? If people are washing their hands and staying far enough apart, there’s probably no harm in it at all. But if they’re neglecting those other things, thinking a mask is going to solve all the problems and protect them, then there’s an issue.  

I saw a little “infographic” today that had some stats on masks and contagion:
  • It said a contagious person without a mask is 70% likely to infect a non-mask wearer.
  • It said a masked carrier has a 5% probability of infecting a non-mask wearer.
  • And with a masked carrier and a mask wearer, the contagion probability is 1.5%. 

I ask the questions again: If this is a medical mask, I can believe this data is accurate. But what kind of mask does this data represent (medical or fabric)? Where is this data from? And if you want folks to wear a medical mask, you’re taking PPE away from medical personnel. I dislike the spread of misinformation, which is partly why I ask the questions I do.

I shared the above information (Joe Rogan video, WHO articles, etc.) and my thoughts the other day on Facebook and
  1. Was called “foolish” for emphasizing hand washing and distancing
  2. Was told I was sharing information like I’m “so righteous”
  3. Was said sharing this data “irritates people”
  4. Was described as bragging about not being afraid (I wasn’t doing that)
  5. Was told my “survival instincts have been anesthetized by propaganda and misinformation”
  6. Was told I have “poor timing” in sharing the info due to protesters
  7. Was told, “your naval gazing at this mask issue [is] ridiculous”
  8. Was told, “it’s simple and really should not be questioned by someone as smart as you”
  9. Was told, “don’t act so effing pompous about it.”
  10. Was told I was “bemoaning my point.”


I find the topic of mandatory masks super interesting (and also irritating). I was trying to have a respectful, data-driven discussion about the topic, if anyone chose to engage. I certainly didn’t intend to come off as righteous, irritating, bragging, insensitive, or pompous. I feel like so much gets lost in text-only comments. Tone, intention, etc. Especially when you're engaging with someone who really doesn't know you. 

Before you agree with the above commenter and think I’m just a selfish person who puts others at risk, I’ve been coming to work (home medical equipment provider) where my desk is located far away from everyone, and I have been going home. That’s it. Work and home. I’ve ordered take out, delivery, and drive-thru from local places to try and support them. I’ve tried to cut down my grocery store trips, and did grocery pickup this weekend instead of going in. I wash my hands for longer than 20 seconds (I actually timed it with my phone and realized I was counting really slowly). I cough and sneeze into my elbow or a tissue (it’s allergy season, and I have a mucus infection in my face) if I have the urge. I had Easter dinner at my own house with Matthew (no family gathering), and stayed far away when I picked up my potatoes and pie from my mom and grandma. I feel good about being responsible and safe in my choices.

I am not perfect, but I do follow rules. And remember my ultra-guilty personality? I don’t want to live with the guilt of someone getting sick because of me. I went to my boss’s house yesterday to get some things signed; he just got back from Colorado, and he flew back from there. I don’t know who he was close to, or if he stayed six feet away from everyone. He could be sick right now and not know it. That is a scary thing. Could him wearing a mask have helped? Maybe. But ultimately, him washing his hands and staying apart from me is the most responsible thing to do.

All I can do is try to stay apart from people, stay home so I reduce my own exposure and the exposure of others, and wash my hands. If for some reason, the state of Utah starts requiring us to wear masks, then I will comply, because I’m a rule follower. But I’ll know that based on data from the WHO, the reality is if I don’t get people sick, it’s most likely because I kept a distance, washed my hands, and coughed/sneezed into my elbow. Who’s spraying people with their microdroplets anyway? Gross.

I think overall, my feeling is: if wearing a mask makes you feel better or safer, do it. You do you. I’ve been relating it to how I make my health and fitness choices for the long-term. I exercise regularly to stay mobile and minimize my health risks. I eat well and supplement to keep my body functioning properly. In the end, if I get cancer at age 50, I’d like to be able to say with good conscience, “I did everything I could. This happened anyway.” If wearing a mask helps people feel like they did everything they could to keep themselves and others safe and healthy, awesome. As long as they’re doing the vital two things in addition to masks, I will support anyone who wants to go the extra mile. I always support responsible and considerate behavior. I just don’t support (currently) arbitrary and unfounded requirements and fines.

If and when cloth masks are shown to be as effective protection as medical masks, I’ll put a cute one on for all of yas. I’ll even make a video of it. I’ll show you the video from six feet away. Right after I wash my hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review