Hey, Jealousy

Well, I clicked to post a new blog, but I had nothing to write about. Then I thought of what has been plaguing me a lot as of late: jealousy.

This is a really personally exposing sort of thing for me to write about. I have never been a jealous person. I was always secure and always felt like, "If you're with me, you're with me." I've felt like I have enough to offer in a lot of regards that some physical things I might be lacking might be shrugged off. I never REALLY struggled very badly with self-esteem. My understanding of the gospel and my place in Heavenly Father's heart has made those kinds of struggles much easier for me than for others.

And yet I'm finding myself in the place of that "green-eyed monster" a lot. It really doesn't do any good to get jealous. I've always thought that, so I've never been that sort of person. What good does it do to be insecure in a relationship when someone really does love you? It just hurts them to think that you don't feel their love. What good does it do to get mad if a comment is made about some girl who is likely a thousand times more attractive than you? The comment isn't going to get taken back. That individual is not going to suddenly become unattractive. And let's face it, the person who makes these comments probably isn't going to say what you want them to say in order to fully reassure you of your status in their eyes.

I think this goes back to what happened to me when I was seventeen years old. I had had a boyfriend for a very long time, almost 3 years by the time we started having problems. I was very secure and very in love, and it ended up being that he was wanting to "explore his options" and keep me around at the same time. Hopefully you get what I'm hinting at, and I'll avoid the details. I've written enough on this topic to have healed for the most part. But it hurt more than anything I had ever known up until that point. I think this has had a horrible effect on me as far as being secure with myself in relationships and trusting people, especially when they tell me that they love me.

I'm not saying I should blame all of this new found jealousy on him. The nature of the relationship that I'm in now was also a little shaky/sketchy at the beginning. It added a lot to my insecurity and took a lot away from my confidence. I am still battling with it a lot and try not to say much about it. Internally reminding myself that I am loved and that I am appreciated and respected and adored helps to some degree, and it keeps me from making any references to the past.

Why the heck am I exposing this battle with myself to all of you? Good question. I have no idea. I just felt like maybe writing some of it out and trying to understand myself through things that I have experienced might help. Because the fact is that I need to get over this.

I am going to be married this year! Marriage is not going to make me more secure or more OK with comments about how attractive another girl is. It's not going to miraculously fix things. I need to fix this before it becomes permanently damaging to my relationship.

I need to go back to my thought process from before and remember that I am a daughter of God. And I need to try to see the things that set me apart, that make me just as good as anyone else.

No, I am not tall and thin. No, I don't have DD cups. No, I can't sing or play the guitar. No, I don't play sports. No, I'm not simple and easygoing all the time. No, I don't have a funky eclectic style of dress. And no, I haven't done humanitarian work or gone abroad for any reason.

I am short, but I am strong. I am little, but I've got a lot to offer. I can't sing, but I do love music. I am not very athletic, but I love to exercise and watch some sports. I am complicated and difficult, but I work on it--and it makes life interesting. I don't have enough money to be super fashionable, but I can match! So I've stayed in the U.S. forever, but I am committing my education and my life to service through teaching.

I think it's important that we all hand it to ourselves sometimes and be sure we're amplifying the talents that God gave us. Maybe it'll help me to stop my ridiculous jealous reactions sooner or later.

Any tips to overcome these things I've never, ever wanted in my life?

Lastly, I really enjoy Shakespeare's 130th Sonnet. I think it gives a very real picture of love for those individuals who don't end up marrying America's Next Top Model. I love it:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

So, while we're at this, how bout we all post this in our blog and indulge one another's egos? Comment and fill it out, please?

Your name:

What You Think About Me:

Am I one of your friends?:

Am I nice to you?:

HONESTLY do you think I'm Hot, Pretty, Cute, OK, Ugly,Disgusting?:

Do you ever think about me off-line?:

What do you like best about me?:

What annoys you most about me?:

One word to describe me:

Do you notice a strange habit I have?:

What is the nicest thing I have done for you?:

When you hear my name, what do you think of?:

What is my best feature?:

What guy/girl do you picture me with?:

Would you ever go out with me?(for the opposite sex only) :


Put An 'X' For Each One That Refers To Me

Outgoing
Shy
Caring
Nice
Sweet
Mean
Weird
Crazy
Smart
Stupid
Dark
Bright
Funny
Freaky

How Well Do You Know Me?

When is my birthday?:

My middle name?:

Who do I like?:

What grade am I in?:

My age?:

Any siblings?:

What color are my eyes?:

What color is my hair?:

What school do I go to?:

One Last Question...

Do ya love me?!:

Comments

Cody said…
Jan, this is an incredible blog. It must have been very freeing to be able to write your feelings. I think its normal to feel the way you do to an extent. I know that i feel that way at times.

Your name: Cody

What You Think About Me: Highly. I think you're an incredible person that has been made equal to the tasks you've been given.

Am I one of your friends?: Yes

Am I nice to you?: Yes

HONESTLY do you think I'm Hot, Pretty, Cute, OK, Ugly,Disgusting?: Janae is sooooo hot right now. Dang hot.

Do you ever think about me off-line?: Yes

What do you like best about me?: that we're gonna be family in a few months!!!

What annoys you most about me?: when you hit me

One word to describe me: level

Do you notice a strange habit I have?: i dont know if its a habit but your strange obsession with opening things.

What is the nicest thing I have done for you?: you have always been a builder

When you hear my name, what do you think of?: shenanigans

What is my best feature?: skin

What guy/girl do you picture me with?: my cousin tanner

Would you ever go out with me?(for the opposite sex only) surely


Put An 'X' For Each One That Refers To Me

OutgoingX
Shy
CaringX
Nicex
Sweetx
Mean
Weird
Crazy
Smartx
Stupid
Dark
Brightx
Funnyx
Freaky

How Well Do You Know Me? i dunno. wellish.

When is my birthday?: crap. um. february?

My middle name?: Guenevere

Who do I like?: Tanner

What grade am I in?: you're going to be a junior in college

My age?:21

Any siblings?:3 brothers

What color are my eyes?: brown?

What color is my hair?:dark brown

What school do I go to?:BYU

One Last Question...

Do ya love me?!: of course
April said…
Hey Janae!
Ok, you are so stinkin' cute, you have no reason to be jealous or intimidated by anyone! And not only that, but you've got the brains to go with the looks...double bonus! I wish I was half as smart as you! You know what you want in life, you go for it, and accomplish it!! It takes such a strong person to do that! So next time you're doubting yourself, remember all of these things! You're awesome!
Love you!
Rachel said…
Thank you thank you thank you.
This comes at a time when I'm feeling particularly unworthy of certain male attention because I don't fit a "type."

You have SO much to offer, and I am often jealous (see, it's a universal feeling, ha!) of the things you can do. e.g. always be thinking of everyone's needs all at once and helping them/us. I love you and I hope you know that.

Your name: Rachel

What You Think About Me: Incredibly amazing person and friend.

Am I one of your friends?: Yes

Am I nice to you?: Yes

HONESTLY do you think I'm Hot, Pretty, Cute, OK, Ugly,Disgusting?: Freaking hot. See above jealousy isues ;)

Do you ever think about me off-line?: Yes

What do you like best about me?: Organized, loving, deliciously sarcastic.

What annoys you most about me?: When you'd rather be with Tan than me...I understand though. Boy/fiance is first.

One word to describe me: Knowing

Do you notice a strange habit I have?: Hmm...not so much a habit, but you type abnormally fast. Thinking the words onto the screen would be slow compared to you typing it out.

What is the nicest thing I have done for you?: Wow. Where do I start? Any of my birthdays...listening to my crazy talk at any hour of the day/night.

When you hear my name, what do you think of?: Fun!

What is my best feature?: Eyes

What guy/girl do you picture me with?: Probably Tanner ;)

Would you ever go out with me?(for the opposite sex only) Um, hello? Lesbian lovers?


Put An 'X' For Each One That Refers To Me

OutgoingX
Shy
CaringX
Nicex
Sweetx
Mean
Weird
Crazyx in a good way :)
Smartx
Stupid
Dark
Brightx
Funnyx
Freaky

How Well Do You Know Me? I think pretty well.

When is my birthday?: February 10, 1987

My middle name?: Nicole (sp)

Who do I like?: Tanny

What grade am I in?: Junior in college

My age?: 21

Any siblings?: 3 younger brothers

What color are my eyes?: Hazel/Green

What color is my hair?: Dark brown

What school do I go to?: BYU

One Last Question...

Do ya love me?!: Of course!

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review