In Defense of Blogging

I decided on Saturday night, after being infuriated by (dare I say) my co-worker's comments, that I needed to write a blog. A blog so amazing and so spectacular that it would inspire you to read every blog in existence. That's right, a blog in defense of blogging. At first I had a hard time figuring out a direction for this because I was so frustrated. I could have written a blog in defense of blogging or as an attack on all things addicting... I may still include some elements of the latter.

The conversation was started by some of my co-workers saying that they do not understand blogging. Fair enough, there are a lot of people who don't. But unless your life has been affected negatively by something, or you have tried something and have reasons for your disapproval, you have no place to say anything. He asked how long blogging takes, and I responded, "It depends on how long it is and how fast you type." He said, "See, and you knock on gaming, and that's just as big of a waste of time..." and just excused himself from the conversation by turning to another co-worker and starting another conversation. I said in response that if they have something against writing or journal keeping, they should re-read some church talks. Another of my co-workers chimed in with the argument that "it's typing, not writing," which was probably the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time, so we'll just dismiss it as inconsequential pish-posh that added to my irritability.

As a claim against gaming, or whatever your time-wasting addiction happens to be, I want to say that almost anything in excess is a bad thing. Movie-watching in excess, reading in excess, exercising in excess, or whatever the vice may be. In any case, I've never heard of someone being addicted to blogging, so the very idea that blogging can be compared to gaming or (insert other addictive activity here) is preposterous. When you are sitting in front of a TV for eight, five, or even two hours a day, when you neglect familial responsibilities or self-improving activities, there is a problem. Blogging takes anywhere from 1 minute (see last cartoon post) to an hour, depending on the person, topic, length, and concern with it being well-written. There is no reason that writing this blog should draw me away from doing other responsibilities, were my boss to walk in and ask me to do something else.

So that is my sort-of rant about gaming or other time-wasters. I just claim that anything in excess can be a great weakness for anyone, and some activities are more influential than others as far as behavior is concerned. If you think I have something against gaming without any reason behind it, shame on you for that assumption. And shame on those who make ignorant comments, who don't care to learn or have an intelligent discussion, and who are not open to change or self-improvement. Destination: Mediocre City.

Now, for the benefits of blogging!

1. Record-keeping. My future sister-in-law keeps a blog recording everything in her and her husband's life. She's writing stuff about her pregnancy and keeps pictures up to date. Record keeping is so important, as we have learned our whole lives at church. What a blessing for little Caleb and others, and even Bri herself to look at her old blogs and be able to remember everything that happened.

2. It's fun and motivating. I hate writing in journals. I consider it a chore although I love to write. When I know I am writing something for others to read, it makes it more entertaining for me.

3. It's self-improvement. Again, when I write for other people to read, it helps me to be more introspective, to recognize my weaknesses, and assess what I can do better.

4. It helps people keep in touch. I would not have known what was going on in my best friend's life in England if she had not kept a blog. She probably would have been very sad if she hadn't kept a record of what she did and where she went for her own reflection someday. And I would have been sad to not know what or how she was doing! My co-worker Philip is in Jordan right now with his wife. Their blog is so fun because I can have something to talk about with him when he gets back! What a blessing to keep track of friends and family who are far away or too busy to keep in touch, informed, and in concern. Making blog comments to let people know you've read it and are concerned takes only three minutes, which is all the time a lot of people have to spare in their day. Where they wouldn't have been able to make a phone call in that time, blogs have provided a fast and convenient way to show love.

5. It helps you get to know people. My boss Kevin got a blog after his son was born. I was so excited to get to see pictures of his baby and to learn more about his wife, and hey, his dog! He's not just my boss, he's my friend, and I like being able to know him on a personal level. Where anyone might have once seemed just a person in a position, or "that kid who sits at the back of class," they take shape as someone with personality, with interests, with problems, and with joys.

6. It's interesting! My favorite things to read are biographies and autobiographies. I love reading about other people's lives. And apparently people like to read about mine, too! It's just fascinating to find out how people see things and what they are going through.

7. It's informative. There are a great many blogs out there that are not just journals of people's personal lives. There are very informative, formal, even business-like blogs that can come up in a Google search for a topic! I do believe there is a grammar blog that I will soon subscribe to. The internet is a great resource, as are many blogs within the great web.

8. It's a space. Our generation is known for wanting to fill the white space, for wanting to be creative, for wanting to be more than just a number. If a blog gets our voices heard, it has succeeded. I love to write and be creative, sometimes I do it for fun, other times for a venting place, and other times just for the record. In any case, I get heard, I'm known, and that brings me peace and fills voids. If games ever satisfied, why can't you stop playing them till you know you have to go to sleep? When I'm done with a blog, I feel better.

9. It's fast. Posting pictures of important life events or keeping a fashion scrapbook (a la Rachel) becomes as easy as the click of a mouse with blogs. I don't like cutting and pasting and patterning and stamping and doing cute colorful markers... I'd rather just click, thanks. And it's done!

10. It's inspiring. I read other blogs and the way they are done (I'll refer you to Cecily Jane's blog) and get ideas for my own writing. Short stories, poems, and regular journal entries can be inspiration to do lots of other things. I love reading blogs with a voice (a la Rachel and Cecily). It makes me respect people as writers almost as I do Mark Twain--an identifiable and humorous voice means the world to me.

There are probably a lot of other benefits I haven't thought of, but these are reasons I validate blogging in my own life.

I'm not saying there aren't ridiculous blogs (remember melodramatic.com?). I'm not saying there are blogs where people write and post things that they probably shouldn't. Almost anything that can be used for good can be used for bad as well. But for the good it offers and with little exposure to the bad, there aren't enough bad things about blogging to make any argument against doing it.

Just want you all to know that I love reading your blogs. Even if I don't comment, I read every single one. I love you all, and I appreciate you reading my blog as well. Have a frabjous day.

Nae

Comments

MovieFiend said…
Nice blog.

See, I read it.
Bri!!! said…
OMG I could smack your co-workers. I can't believe they could compare it to gaming. That is really ridiculous. I love the arguments you made. They are all the reasons why I love blogging. I didn't realize how therapeutic it would be until I started doing it. I enjoyed reading this blog. Thanks for speaking out to those lamos.

Bri
Hambone Jacobs said…
Let me guess... Dan. Tell him I said he was a moron. ;) Blogging is so not like gaming. You don't spend hours writing a blog. it takes no more than a half an hour. Shesh. I miss you.
Cindy said…
Well said. Again, this should be printed up and given to Cameron and Rob and anyone else who was being stupid that day (or everyday for that matter...)

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review