BYU Parking Citation Appeal


(emphasis added)

To whom it may concern:

I received a parking ticket in the Museum of Art Visitors’ lot at 4 PM on September 28, 2010. The comment on this ticket says, “lied to booth officer in order to park.” Under any circumstance, this comment is accusatory and inappropriate. However, in this case it is also completely false.

I graduated from BYU in April 2010. I have since moved to Murray and do not take classes on campus. From August 2005 to April 2010, I have registered my car for parking in the Y-lots every fall and have never violated parking standards or received a citation; I am familiar with and have always respected the parking procedures.

As a graduate visiting campus today, in Fall 2010, I had assumed that I was no longer registered to park in the Y lots. I pulled into the Museum of Art Visitors’ lot to make a brief visit to the records office to get a transcript. When the booth officer asked if my car was registered to park in the Y lots, I confidently and honestly answered, “No.”

The only mix-up I can see happening in this situation is that I take a class through the CITES program off campus at Mountain View High School in Orem. Perhaps without my knowledge, this off-campus class automatically registered me to park in the Y lots. Being that I have never had a need to be on campus this semester, I have no idea if that’s the case and would have no way of knowing if that’s the case. It is a problem I never would have considered as a graduate and not a traditional on-campus student.

If this latter situation is the case, then please forgive my ignorance and accept my appeal on this citation. I had no intention of “lying to the booth officer” in order to get a good parking spot. I gave him what I believed to be an honest and confident answer as a BYU graduate visiting campus for a few minutes.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Janae Balibrea


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review