Before Sunset

Celine: I guess when you're young, you just believe there'll be many people with whom you'll connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens a few times.
Jesse: And you can screw it up, you know, misconnect.

---

Celine: I always feel like a freak because I'm never able to move on like *snap* this, you know? People just have an affair or even entire relationships. They break up and they forget. They move on like they would have changed random cereals. I feel I was never able to forget anyone I've been with because each person has their own specific qualities. You can never replace anyone. What is lost is lost. Each relationship when it ends really damages me. I never fully recover. That's why I'm very careful with getting involved because it hurts too much. Even getting laid. I actually don't do that. I will miss in a person the most mundane things. I'm obsessed with the little things. Maybe I'm crazy but when I was a little girl, my mom told me that I was always late to school. One day she followed me to see why. I was looking at chestnuts falling from the trees rolling on the sidewalk or ants crossing the road--the way a leaf casts a shadow on a tree trunk--little things. I think it's the same with people. I see in them little details so specific to each of them that move me and that I miss and will always miss. You can never replace anyone because everyone is made of such beautiful specific details. Like I remember the way your beard has a bit of red in it, and how the sun was making it glow that morning right before you left. I remembered that and I missed it. I'm really crazy, right?

---

Celine: It's funny, I read one of mine from '83 the other day, and what really surprised me is that I was dealing with life the same way I am now. I was much more hopeful and naive. But the core, and the way I was feeling things, is exactly the same. It made me realize I haven't changed much at all.

---

Jesse: I mean what is love, right? If it's not respect, trust, admiration, and I've felt all those things...

---

Celine: Like I'm a strong independent woman in my professional life. I don't need a man to feed me, but I still need a man to love me and that I could love, you know?

---

Funny how I happen to watch certain movies at certain points in my life where I can relate to characters or stories or incredible details in a piece of dialogue. Seriously, it's amazing, in a very good way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review