My Daddy and Me

I wrote a post before about how I remember going fishing early in the morning with my dad. These memories are precious to me, and I've got some more to share.

I find that we are building memories all the time. Some of them can be captured with pictures, and some can't, just because they're too special for anyone to be thinking about cameras anyway.

My dad and I talk on the phone every other day or so. We talk about nothing or everything--religion, the end of the world, my car problems, the weather, conspiracy theories, animal cruelty, my personal emotional struggles--whatever you can think of, we probably talk about it. Sometimes the conversations are really heavy and tiring. Other times they're inspiring and hope-giving. Needless to say, we're a pretty close pair.

This last time that I went to California, I stayed a couple days longer than I had originally planned. Mom left on Monday for Utah, so it was just me, Dad, and Jake at home. On Monday, my dad wanted to get himself a lunch box and some lunch goods so he could stop eating out during the work day and have healthier meals. We went shopping at Wal-Mart and Stater Bros. for all the stuff he needed. He bought me a copy of Clueless for $5 at Wal-Mart. Score!

While we were at Stater Bros., we needed to decide what we wanted for dinner. We decided on hot dogs and leftovers. After I persuaded him to the more practical side of the Hebrew National deals (he wanted the huge hot dogs that were ridiculously expensive), we got some stuff and went home.

I heated up the leftovers from Saturday night's awesome barbecue by Mom, including twice baked potatoes and sauteed mushrooms. I brought the veggie tray, plates, glasses, soda, and food outside, and put them on the canopied table in the backyard. Dad's backyard is basically his sanctuary. He has a self-constructed koi pond and waterfall plus a deck, and his most prized possession--his aquaponic system.

So when he finished barbecuing the hot dogs, we sat down together at the table with our gourmet meal (Jake was gone helping our cousin move).

It was just the two of us and the smell of barbecue and the sound of waterfall on a nice, warm Glendora evening. We talked about some of the above issues as we enjoyed our meal together in the sunset.

Later that night we watched both Ice Age movies since we had watched the third one in theaters the night before.

I was getting ready for work this morning and was thinking about that dinner that we had in the backyard. It was really simple, but more than enough to make me smile. I think it meant a lot to him, too.

Comments

Unknown said…
That is so sweet. I am also really close to my dad, but I don't talk to him nearly as much as I'd like to, or should, for that matter. You're an inspiration...your post made me want to be closer to my family and spend more quality time with THEM, not my cell phone, computer, camera, etc. etc.
Lisa Petrarca said…
It's always those simple everyday moments that are the most special.
Lisa Petrarca said…
Stop by my blog...you have an award waiting for you!

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review