"Repost This"

OK...

Too many annoying status trends on Facebook lately.

For example:

"If your Dad is your hero, your best friend, or just the best Dad ever. Whether you are blessed to have your Dad still with you, or if he is an angel in heaven. Copy & paste this into your status and let everyone know you are proud of your Dad & that you love him & he is always in your heart & on your mind."

"5 years old: my mom is the best! 7 years old: Mom I love you. 10 years old: mom whatever. 17 years old: OMG my mom is so annoying. 18 years old: I wanna leave this house. 25 years old: I wanna go back to my moms house. 50 years old: I don't wanna lose my mom. 70 years old: I would...give... up everything for my mom to be here...with me...post this on your wall if you appreciate your MOMMA!"

"BROTHER WEEK. If you have a brother who has made you laugh, knocked you around,stuck up for you, drove you crazy, hugged you, watched you succeed, saw you fall (or tripped you, once or twice), picked you backup, cheered you on, made you strong, and most importantly loved you,... then copy & paste this to your status."


Those are copied and pasted without changes. 

Now, while the intentions here are good, I want to point out one of the major flaws of Facebook (and people). We rely on it to communicate for us, indirectly, to those we care about.

My dad barely ever gets on Facebook. Reposting something like the above would just be a way for me to look "oh, so sweet," to everyone else on Facebook. Why do that when my dad won't see it anyway? 



I have a solution... just TELL the people you care about how you feel about them.


I call my dad almost every day. We talk about nothing or everything. I love him. He knows that because I call him and because we talk. Not because I reposted a stupid Facebook update. 

I call my mom just as often, for any reason and every reason. Sickness, girl stuff, cooking, whatever. I prayed and thanked Heavenly Father for my mom very recently. I thought she might like to know, since Heavenly Father's not gonna go tell her. So I texted her to let her know. I'm pretty sure it made her night. She's on Facebook all the time, but even SHE could  miss a status update. 

I love my brothers. I call them or text THEM to let them know. Not Facebook. 


I believe in taking the opportunity to have real, direct connections with people. Status chains and trends may never get seen. What good is it to them anyway?  

Walk the walk, people. Walk the walk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October in Review

November GBOMB

November in Review